Call Me "Juror #6"

Well, today I was chosen from among my county peers to decide a man's fate who is charged with murder.

Of course I can't talk about the case, but I do find the system of elimination in choosing jurors quite interesting. While many potential jurors have professional reasons why they can't serve on a three week case, others had "justified" reasons and those were taken in stride. But a couple had personal, and even moral, reasons which the judge would dismiss them for.

It's my opinion that if you can sit, you should. It's a key pillar of our entire democratic system, and one we should all count ourselves lucky to be afforded. We can only hope that some competent fellow citizens are sitting in "the box" (as they informally address our new residence) IF the occasion arises for us, too - regardless of guilt. This exposure to our actual legal system at work is quite a learning experience.